Bob Murray Housing With Love Walk 2016
Since 1990, the Harwich Ecumenical Council for Housing (HECH) has provided compassionate solutions to fulfill its mission of stabilizing year-round low and moderate income families. This past year HECH assisted over 165 neighbors in need through a variety of programs designed to help the most vulnerable in our community.
With your help, HECH has been able to:
- Provide safe stable housing for a veterans who bravely served our country
- Place a struggling couple who was living in their car into a stable and affordable unit.
- Ensure elderly folks on fixed incomes who are no longer able to sustain their large family homes have suitable safe housing options so they do not end up on the street.
- Utilize rental assistance funds to assist single moms and dads who are simultaneously returning to school and working to make better futures for their families
- Repair leaky roofs, replace failed heating systems and fix safety and health code violations to ensure our neighbors are safe and warm in their homes.
- Secure housing for widows, widowers, the ill and those caring for sick family members who rely on fixed incomes and are unable to afford fair market rents here on Cape Cod.
With over 145 families on our affordable unit waiting list, we expect 2016 will bring us more challenges. The annual Bob Murray Housing with Love Walk is one way that we support these services. Beginning in Provincetown on July 11th and ending in Falmouth on July 17th, this seven day, 100 mile adventure will raise over a quarter of a million dollars and benefit Cape Cod non-profits who are committed to developing compassionate solutions to homelessness for our local families.
On Wednesday, July 13th, the HECH walkers will depart from the municipal parking lot in Harwich Port at 10:45am and walk to the First Congregational Church in Harwich Center for lunch. This year we are pleased to honor as HECH’s Celebrity Walkers two people who have reminded us time and time again that “one person can make a difference”. Harwich residents Robin Wilkins and Joan Anderson HAVE made a difference.
Joan is active in many organizations. She is a 5-time bestselling author and global inspirational speaker on women’s topics. A movie based on her book, A Year by the Sea, is premiering in June 2016. Robin has been HECH’s Board President since 2012. He has been a member of the Harwich Board of Selectmen and has sat on various committees, including the Housing Committee and Housing Authority. Robin is a tireless advocate for finding solutions to end homelessness on Cape Cod.
We hope we can count on you this year, as it makes such a difference in the lives of the people we assist. If you can walk, please do, but we also ask that you write a check. The Bob Murray Housing with Love Walk is HECH’s single largest fundraiser for our housing programs. We need your support to help continue our mission to change lives – one family, one person at a time. Thank you!
We’d like to thank our 2016 walk sponsors for their generous support! * Maggie Andrews * Timothy Willis (Merrill Lynch) * George Davis, Inc. * The Law Office of Singer & Singer, LLC * Joe Martins (Accu Sepcheck) * Benson Young + Downs Insurance Agency Inc. “(BY+D)” * The Family Pantry * Glivinski & Associates * First Congregational Church Harwich * G.C. Custom Builders, Inc. * Peterson Realty, Inc. * J.M. O’Reilly + Associates, Inc. * Law Offices of Bruce A. Bierhans, LLC. * Sanders, Walsh & Eaton, LLP * Holy Trinity Church *
Please download/print the following Housing With Love Walk information.
Click here if you need to download the FREE Adobe PDF Reader.